The Kids are Alright! I met my son at Zucotti Park, where he and a lot of friends have been protesting corporate takeover of America. I sure don't have the stamina or the possibility of camping out all night, with Occupy Wall Street, but they get in their sleeping bags, then go to class, or if they're unemployed, they cook or make signs, or participate in General Assemblies twice a day, where they are deciding on things like when they should have quiet time (11pm) if they should be non violent (they decided yes) if they should welcome trade unions to the cause (yes, yes, yes).
As a young girl, I saw on the evening news children burned naked from napalm in Vietnam, and joined the anti war movement. In those days I marched, and handed out fliers, etc.
The new movement is about shaking the corporations out of their grip on the US Government. Corporations get big tax breaks, get corporate welfare, get bailed out by the taxpayers dollar, as our tolls, energy costs and food prices rise, as more and more of us go into bankruptcy and forclosure.
A telephone company can lower my credit score for disputing a charge, where I can't do the same for them, for making a contract with my son over the phone, who at 17 was too young to go into a contract with anyone. Pay up or go into indentured servitude. They break your kneecaps on paper..!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home